Time for another update!
You may or may not know about this, but in Europe a continuous heat wave and severe drought are wreaking havoc on nature, and also on people. I’m not generally a summer person anyway, so this isn’t great. Luckily I have aircon at work, but definitely not at home where ambient temps are somewhere between 25 and 35 depending on the time of the day. This means it’s pretty bloody warm everywhere which isn’t great motivation to work on video projects. Last saturday we had some refreshing rain and clouds so I could get some okay lighting to do the video on the Microserver Gen10. If this weather continues, that may very wel be the only video for the time being. Plenty of projects are planned, but I can’t do a lot of recording and editing until the temperatures go back to normal.
So, other updates behind the scenes:
- The Jankinator has been upgraded to 8GB of RAM after I got another 4GB ECC stick off eBay. Also swapped out the 1TB HDD for a 300GB WD Raptor 10K drive and hooked up the 500GB laptop drive for more bulk storage. The 1TB disk is removed entirely and so is the ghetto GTX470. Looking at getting a nicer single slot card for the system, like a Quadro 2000 or 4000 seeing they are pretty cheap these days and should be a nice match for the Xeon, as a little mATX workstation. The system is fast as hell now on W7 Ultimate 64-bit.
- The NUC no longer runs my Minecraft server. The recent 1.13 patch has severely impacted performance to a point where it can’t handle more than a single player. This wasn’t an issue on 1.12.x so RIP. It’s now moved to my Dell E6320 for the time being, as it’s not in use currently.
- Bought myself a new laptop for on the go light gaming and somewhat mobile workstation tasks. A Pavilion Gaming 15 with a Coffee Lake i5 quad core and GTX1050 inside. Nice machine, I like it at least.
- The MBPr late 2013 is gone after I was notified of a fatal flaw in the logic boards of these models. Didn’t feel like losing €600 worth of laptop overnight.
- The Mac Mini 2012 is running Mojave now, and rather well. It’s a really nice operating system, I have to say.
- My main rig will be subject of a video at some point when I finish the partial transition to a hybrid Linux/Windows solution. Still very much work in progress at this point.
And that’s it, news wise. Thanks for stopping by!